The top 10 Reasons to See Your Lymphedema Therapist Every 6 Months
by Linda McGrath Boyle, PT, DPT, OCS, CLT-LANA
1. To prevent an infection that could result in a hospital stay.
2. To prevent the involved area from becoming larger.
3. To prevent the involved area from becoming firm.
4. To obtain new garments for consistent and effective compression.
5. To learn about new and improved lymphedema products that are being invented.
6. To review your self-care strategies which may change and reduce the time required for your daily routine.
7. Your insurance company may change your garment benefit.
8. If your lymphedema worsens, you may need to repeat phase I treatment, which includes daily bandaging, manual lymphatic drainage, skin care, and exercises. If your lymphedema is well-controlled, you may only need one visit for new garment measurements and review of self-care instruction.
9. Most people more effectively control their lymphedema if they attend regular checkups with their lymphedema therapist.
10. Last but not least, you'll receive support and encouragement from your lymphedema therapist. You deserve credit for a job well done!